Where we work.
Banking, publishing and unsolved murders.
We’re very lucky to have our office in an interesting and inspiring historic location in the centre of Edinburgh’s Literary Quarter.
Upon leaving the High Street through Tweeddale Close, you enter Tweeddale Court and can see the name Oliver & Boyd carved into the sandstone above the main entrance. The publisher and bookseller moved part of the business here in 1820 but the building’s story began quite some time before.
The first owners were the Keeper of the Signet, Neil Lang and his wife. Their initials are carved into the remnants of an old doorway along with the date 1576. It didn't acquire the name Tweeddale Court though until 1670, when the Marquess of Tweeddale took over residence.
Over the years, the building deteriorated until the British Linen Bank adopted it as their head office in 1791. It was during this occupancy that one of historic Edinburgh’s most notorious unsolved murders took place, that of William Begbie – a porter at the bank.
Since Oliver and Boyd departed, the building has maintained its connections with the publishing industry. In addition to two publishers, there are writers, designers, reporters and, of course, ourselves, Biblichor Book Production, all sharing this magnificent location.
Tweeddale Court today. Not much has changed!
© Biblichor Ltd, 2017. All rights reserved.